SURFACE ITS ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION ON THE WESTCONNEX M4-M5 LINK TUNNELS PROJECT
WestConnex, the largest road infrastructure project in Australia, is a 33-kilometer motorway network that will be delivered in 4 stages by Transurban. The M4 opened in July 2019, the M8, opened in July 2020, the M4-M5 Link Tunnels, due to open in 2023 and the Rozelle Interchange, also due to open in 2023.
RSGx are performing work on the third stage of the project, the M4-M5 Link Tunnels. The M4-M5 Link Tunnels will consist of 7.5 kilometres of tunnels, linking the New M4 at Haberfield with the M8 at St Peters, with connections to the Anzac and Iron Cove bridges via the Rozelle Interchange.
SCOPE OF WORK
RSGx’s scope of work includes the surface ITS electrical installation and the M&E Installation at St. Peters Interchange (SPI). The scope is due to be completed in 2022.
RSGx are responsible for the electrical installation works including:
- Installation of all free issue equipment including variable message signs, traffic lights, PTZ CCTV camera, roadside cabinet, boom gate, over height detector, traffic loop, moveable median strip, prepare to stop sign, over height warning sign, traffic loop – ramp metering (SCATS Loop), integrated speed limit and lane use signs
- Electrical connection (power and control)
- Installation of earthing stakes to the associated roadside cabinet
- Installation of junction boxes and facility switch on the VMS supporting structure
- Inspection and testing
- Mandrill and proving of conduits
- Installation, termination and testing of all scope cabling.
RSGx has undertaken the installation of electrical and control systems associated with the Surface ITS equipment at Wattle Street Interchange and St. Peters Interchange. RSGx coordinated the proof load testing of lifting equipment and lifting points including:
- the provision and handling of test equipment
- carrying out and supervising tests
- all attendance and marking equipment or steelwork with the safe working load (SWL) in accordance with the technical information
- Maintenance and preservation after installation of equipment in accordance with Manufacturers’ recommendations, instructions and the technical information.
The scope of works was carried over day and night shifts to meet the Client program, with a peak staffing level of 40 electrical workers and two supervisors (day/night).
ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE
RSGx performance on the project led to RSGx being awarded additional Subcontract works within the tunnel. The construction, and completions activities on the project were completed on time, on budget and without a Lost Time Injury (LTI).