Mechanical and Electrical construct and commission a filtration pilot plant
SUEZ – KWINANA DESALINATION PLANT, PILOT PLANT CONSTRUCTION
SUEZ engaged RSGx to construct and commission a filtration pilot plant at the Kwinana Desalination Plant in Western Australia. The pilot plant aims to look at performance for various filtration media types.
SCOPE OF WORK
RSGx were engaged to re-construct a de-commissioned pilot plant shipped to Australia from overseas. Works involved modifications to the plant to ensure compliance with Australian
Standards, mechanical and electrical construction activities and handover to the SUEZ commissioning and operations team.
Mechanical activities included:
- Installation of all tanks, piping and supports required to tie into the Kwinana Desalination Plant process.
- Re-configuration and design of piping routes to meet the project installation requirements.
- Installation of mixers, valves, flow meters, pumps and dosing skids.
- Re-design and modifications of access ladders, platforms and structural steel to meet Australian Standards.
Electrical activities included:
- Modification of existing switch room structure to bring in line with Australian Standards
- Installation and testing of all LV cabling, lighting, supports and instrumentation
- Installation of UPS systems, HVAC, Fire monitoring and alarm systems.
A multidisciplinary team were mobilised to site for the construction and testing of the Pilot Plant, whilst significant technical challenges were presented largely from adaption to the plant working
and complying to Australian Standards, the project was successfully handed over to the operations team.
The Pilot Plant Program will be in place for a year for the SUEZ team to determine potential filtration media replacement opportunities, thus reducing the frequency of media change outs and
increase overall output of the plant.
ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE
RSGx have a national agreement with Suez to engage on minor projects supporting their works in the water and utilities sector. The construction, and completions activities on the project were completed on time, on budget and LTI free.